Sunday 9 March 2014

Double-knitted jacket: sleeve pattern

In my previous post there is a photo of my first attempt at sleeves: simple squares a fourth in size compared to the big squares.

A good idea in theory, but in practice it didn't quite work. With fewer crossings of the two strands the sleeve quickly looked rather bubbly; what's more, it dawned on me the effect might actually be striped sleeves with all the crossings arranged in vertical columns. (Something like extremely long, rectangular bubbles.)

So, I decided to keep the squares but fill them with circles and tiny squares to rhyme with the main pattern. An advantage is that the two sides will look different! I chose light squares on a dark background on this side like the body.

I thought of doing it the opposite way but then I decided there were enough mirror effects going on already.

No comments: