Wednesday 2 January 2013

Happy New Year

Poncho: casting off by Asplund
Poncho: casting off, a photo by Asplund on Flickr.
The poncho I started in November is nearly finished: I'm casting off, quite excited about what it will look like washed and blocked! Once again, thanks Kerry for the lovely wool!

The cardigan inspired by a design from a 1940s magazine is finished. It took five skeins (500 gr) of Kampes 2-ply wool. (I've even sewn the buttons in place - the main reason I seldom make cardigans.) It's a difficult colour to capture, so I'm posting two "in progress" photos to show both the colour and the shape:

1940s cardigan: colour


1940s cardigan: shape


How about summing up some favourites of 2012, not in terms of knitting since that is what all my posts are about :)

1. Three new favourite movies: Take shelter, Tomboy and Amour. Superb acting and deeply moving stories. I recently saw Life of Pi, which wasn't my cup of tea, although I must say it was a feast for the eyes. Not that it's bad, it's simply a matter of personal taste. Even if it makes for an exciting movie, a young man fighting for survival trapped in a lifeboat simply doesn't move me the way an old woman trapped in her increasingly frail body (Amour) does - or a young girl trapped in other people's expectations of her (Tomboy) or a man trapped in his fears and delusions (Take Shelter).

2. Two new favourite writers: Jenny Diski (have read What I Don't Know about Animals and Stranger on a Train) and Richard Dawkins (The Ancestor's Tale, The Greatest Show on Earth etc.) Why hadn't I read their books before? On the other hand, it's nice to have this kind of catching up to do - and I had no idea I would find evolution this fascinating!

3. A new favourite skill - well, I wouldn't call it a skill, but learning some dances from the 1700s has been one of the true highlights of last year. On Friday I'm attending a Twelfth Night ball! I attended the one last year, and that was when I decided I must learn how to dance. (Have never been into dancing before, so I've really surprised myself.)


A new member of an 1700s society I was delighted to be asked if I wanted to pose for their 2013 calendar with photos echoing risqué pictures from the period.

It would have been rude not to!

Calendar boy

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I see your knits are always so beautiful. For me during 2012, I loved French film "Polisse" and the book "Impression d'ailleurs" by Philippe Stark. Have a great new year !

Asplund said...

Thanks for the book and film suggestions!

Anonymous said...

The sweater and poncho are beautiful. Where can we get the calendar??
Ron in Mexico

Asplund said...

Thanks, Ron! The calendar was printed in an extremely limited edition: every one who participated got one for free and then there were a number for sale among the members of the society.

Anonymous said...

A very Happy New Year to you, Asplund! More gorgeous knits from you. The cardigan looks great. I'd love to see it on you (if it's yours).

And the calendar! What a shame you can't market it online, I think you might have a few takers.

Cricket said...

I agree there are so many new things to try out there in the world why not get you feet wet.For one that has never knitted as many beautiful items as you but would love to,you give me something to smile about and something to work for. Thank you for sharing! Most days it's just me and my computer here and when I see you post come up it'd like an old friend stopping by to say hello. Thank you again.