Saturday 7 January 2012

A promising start of the new year

Cuffs for Anna in progress by Asplund
Cuffs for Anna in progress, a photo by Asplund on Flickr.
A couple of days ago I was invited to an 18th century party, which was a lot of fun. Some 100 people dressed up in style, beautiful rooms, delicious food and live music. A memory to treasure!

Guess what? Next weekend Anna, one of the members of this 18th century society, is throwing a birthday party, so I'll get to put on the wig I've borrowed again!

I don't know if they knitted wristwarmers in the 1700s, but I believe Anna will be able to wear them anyway - she does wear modern clothes too. This is laceweight cashmere I got at GarnGalleriet, and I use 2 mm needles (US 0) to make sure the pearls won't sneak their way to the wrong side. A lace pattern makes it airy even though the needles are thin. I haven't worked with cashmere before, and already fear it will be an expensive addiction!

Häromdagen var jag på 1700-talsfest: en fantastisk tillställning med ett hundratal vackert klädda gäster, utsökt mat och välljudande musik. Obeskrivligt. Jag har det så oförskämt bra att jag ska på en födelsedagsfest med 1700-talstema på lördag, så det är inte någon idé att lämna tillbaka peruken jag har lånat. (Skönt med en sådan på huvudet nu när det har blivit minusgrader.)

Jag vet inte om man hade handledsvärmare på den tiden, men Anna går inte alltid klädd enligt det modet, så hon får nog tillfälle att använda dem ändå. För första gången stickar jag med kashmirgarn, och inser redan att det kan bli en dyr vana. Detta vackra garn, som jag hittade på GarnGalleriet, stickar jag med 2 mm så att inte pärlorna kryper genom och gömmer sig på avigsidan - och har ett spetsmönster så att det blir luftigt trots de tunna stickorna.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You lucky guy. The picture of you is great and what a lovely Christmas tree. So very elegant. The wrist warmers are lovely and I am sure will be appreciated. Beautiful design.
Ron in Mexico

Yarndude said...

Ooh, cashmere is definitely nature's gift to knitters. I can't get enough of it.

EvaL8 said...

Ser ut att ha varit en trevlig fest. Lyxiga muddar kan väl ingen tacka nej till.

torirot said...

Jeg tror sikkert man brukte pulsvarmere den gangen også, det kunne sikkert være ganske kjølig på et stort slott...
Kos deg på bursdagsfest til helga!

ylva said...

Hh hi ! vad fin du är.Anno 1790 susar förbi i huvudet. Roligt att få göra tidsresor och suga in miljön ser ut att vara vackert dukade bord!

Anonymous said...

That all looks like wonderful fun - and lucky Anna! My mother gave me a useful innoculation against cashmere when I was younger; she said, "It's lovely but it really doesn't wear very well". So I have always resisted the temptation - I have no idea if it's true and I don't want to know!

Anonymous said...

I love the new design of your blog, your photo is great(the sweater you are wearing is gorgeous), the one with the wig too, I'm sure it was a lot of fun!
The cuff are lovely and I'm very impressed how fast you completed the Hanne Falkenberg vest.
And yes, cashmere is fantastic to knit!
Happy knitting!

MarieW

Mattias Adolfsson said...

Peruken passar dig verkligen Ivar!

fluffbuff said...

What a beautiful setting! And you certainly look the part.

Those dainty wrist warmers will make a wonderful gift.

Pinneguri said...

Sier som de andre, heldige du, det så jo kjempeartig å få delta i. Og du kunne faktisk vært fra 1700-tallet også :D

Kyle Kunnecke said...

I want to come visit you, dress up and attend one of these amazing parties! Each time you talk about them it makes me want to buy a plane ticket and fly to see you immediately! :)

love the photos - and the beautiful lace. You are so thoughtful!