Tuesday 5 May 2009

Eva's shawl finished

Evas sjal
Originally uploaded by

Both major and minor changes to the design made it quite exciting to see if the shawl would look anything like what I had in mind! It actually does, so I'm happy with my modifications:

1) adding three small groups of holes near the top of each triangle;

2) replacing the "Barège" pattern with a "Leaf and trellis" pattern from the Cap Shawl in the same book;

3) the edging I "designed" (sounds fancy!) to frame three sides of the shawl; the points are formed by increases and decreases, their width based on the number of stitches in the repeats; I used yarn-over increases to make groups of holes for decoration and to make the edging elastic. (I tried invisible increases first, but I thought that made the edging look too solid compared to the rest of the shawl; it seemed too tight too.)

4) adding a knitted-on border, basically "Mrs. Hope's Vandyke edging" (also in Victorian Lace Today) except I skipped two rows (15-16) to make it match the number of stitches picked up along the edge.

It's ca 120 cm (47 in) wide and very light, ca 120 grams (1/4 lb). Eva hasn't seen the finished shawl yet; those who have tried it on say they like the shape, since it doesn't slide off the shoulders the way a triangular shawl easily does. However, it keeps your arms free rather than covered, so if you want a shawl to keep your arms warm this might not be the best choice.


Anonymous said...

Aren't you clever. That is so beautiful. I, too, have thought that a shawl with three segments as opposed to two would stay on the shoulders better. Such gorgeous work.
Ron in Mexico

Satoko said...

Oj, så fint!!

Eva i Stäket said...

Den är verkligen fin!!

Unknown said...

Vad bra det blev! Perfekt!

Marias garnhändelser said...

Ja, vad skall man säga..snygg! typ.
Hoppas Eva blir jätteglad, för det borde hon bli:-)
Stor kram!

Asplund said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm definitely going to knit more shawls like this one, perhaps even try to design one of my own some day.