Wednesday 1 May 2013

St. Brigid finished

St. Brigid: attaching neckband by Asplund
St. Brigid: attaching neckband, a photo by Asplund on Flickr.
This is the first time I've knitted a neckband separately before sewing it in place - but probably not the last time! It was rather tricky getting the length right and making the seam neat, but I really like the horizontal braid: a glorious finishing touch to an already gorgeous design. Starmore for president!

I added a finishing touch of my own: framing the sleeves with cables that slant in opposite directions. When joined by the sleeve seam they form a new cable pattern.
sleeve seam

With this sweater finished I thought I'd return to the 19th century-style "spedetröja" I started a some time ago and that has been lying waiting patiently in my bag the past couple of weeks. But lying under what? Look at the tip of the needle! Perhaps it bent out of resentment being neglected.


11 comments:

Miranne said...

Det er den aller vakraste gensaren som finst! Ein vakker dag skal eg ta motet til meg og lage min eigen :o)

Yarndude said...

Wow, that sweater looks fantastic!

Carolina said...

The cables are gorgeous. I really like the attached neck; it's worth the extra effort.

dqpage said...

Meget meget smuk bluse
og et flot stykke håndværk.

mvh Mona

Arla said...

Just beautiful! Congratulations. I find your knitting so inspirational and hope someday to be the craftsman you are. Thank you for sharing your lovely work.

ylva said...

OMG! Can it be more perfect ? Love it , I wonder what happened to your needel ...

Annegret said...

Fantastic work!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

ron in mexico said...

The sweater is spectacular and I agree that the cabled neckband is the right finishing touch. Very clever sleeve seam - you never cease to amaze me.
Ron in Mexico

Marina said...

Glad I stopped by today as I'm planning my St. Brigid. Love what you did to the sleeve. It's beautiful.

craftivore said...

Love that you showed the neckband almost on, so much more potent somehow than the finished sweater. And what a glorious sweater it is, Starmore for presdient indeed.