Wednesday, 11 July 2018

Starmore mania, part 1

Well, I knew stranded colourwork was something I longed for during my book project, but little did I know I would finish no less than three Starmore projects: Mary Tudor, Thoroughbred and Rona. They're all available as kits from Virtual Yarns - I should add that I am not sponsored by them, but simply a happy Starmore addict.

I learnt long ago that I find it extremely difficult to get the gauge called for even though I've tried different needle sizes. My solution to that problem is to use my gauge to calculate roughly how many stitches I will need for the garment to be my size. Then I choose which size to follow in the instructions depending on which of them comes closest.

There's no way I'd take liberties with the charts or the colour combinations - the main reason I send for kits is that I get colours a genius has chosen and that I myself never would have dreamed of. (I find combining two colours is difficult enough!) Look at these fifteen colours of Rona, for example.

Hebridean Delight
I do take some liberties with shapes and constructions, though, and that's what this (and my next) post will be about.

Shoulder joins are very important to me, so I make efforts planning them, and undoing them if necessary. It is not so much about how they're done (I practically always use the three-needle bind-off technique) but getting them to look pleasing. So, here are three examples of different results with the same technique.

With Mary Tudor I managed (with some luck) to get a good length by finishing a whole rose before the shoulder join. I think it looks very nice with two roses meeting at the join:


I used two colours to bind off - with only the background colour it would have visible where the yellow stitches are joined. (There are already examples of that among my sweaters...)

shoulder join wrong side

When it was time for Thoroughbred, I first tried letting the allover pattern meet in a similar way, but was not very happy with how it turned out - sorry about the blurred photo - mainly because of the shape of the negative space:
Thoroughbred, take 1
Instead I added a row with only the background colour, and think it looks a lot better:
Thoroughbred, take 2
Last but not least, Rona. I was delighted to see how a new pattern was created when the two horizontal, mirrored bands were married by the shoulder join. A great thing about the three-needle bind-off technique - apart from being very easy - is that stitches are matched in pairs. If I had grafted front and back instead ("Kitchener stitch") they would have been half a stitch off.
Rona shoulder
That's it for today! Sooner or later I will be back with other modifications. Let me just add that I'm such a selfish knitter I'm going to keep all three of them! ūüėé

Mine!
Efter bokprojektet har jag glatt givit efter f√∂r mitt uppd√§mda behov att sticka flerf√§rgsm√∂nster. Inte mindre √§n tre Alice Starmore-plagg har det blivit - en av dem p√•b√∂rjad f√∂re boken, s√• den fick jag g√∂mma. Sj√§lv √§r jag inte s√§rskilt bra p√• att kombinera f√§rger (tv√• √§r sv√•rt nog) s√• jag har lyxat till det genom att skicka efter kit fr√•n Virtual Yarns. Vissa av de h√§r f√§rgerna skulle jag aldrig ha valt, √§nnu mindre kommit p√• att kombinera, s√• det √§r bara att vara tacksam √∂ver att det finns ett geni som g√∂r det. Kanske ska jag p√•peka att jag inte har blivit sponsrad utan bara √§r glatt beroende. 

Färgerna mixtrar jag alltså inte med (tanken svindlar), däremot lägger jag mig i en del när det gäller konstruktion och passform. För det första har jag väldigt svårt att få till den starmoreska stickfastheten, till och med när jag byter stickor. Därför utgår jag från min stickfasthet och väljer storlek utifrån det. Oftast blir det Small med betydligt tunnare stickor än som anges, och så liten till växten är jag faktiskt inte.

Vidare √§r jag ganska petig n√§r det g√§ller montering av fram- och bakstycke. Som regel vr√§nger jag arbetet ut och in och maskar av de tv√• styckena tillsammans, detta f√∂r att f√• m√∂nsterpassning. I de tre projekten ovan √§r det allts√• samma teknik men med lite olika effekt. 

I koftan Mary Tudor hade jag tur nog att längden blev lagom om jag avslutade med en hel ros. Det blev riktigt fint när två rosor möts vid axelfogen, tycker jag. (Föreställ er två stympade som bildar någon sorts monster-ros!) Här maskade jag av med två färger: med bara bottenfärgen skulle den ha lyst igenom de gula partierna, och det ville jag undvika. Detta eftersom jag har exempel på den effekten i tröjsamlingen...

När jag monterade slipovern Thoroughbred prövade jag först att göra likadant, men blev inte nöjd med hur det tog sig ut där gallren möttes över axeln (vilket jag hade trott). Därför lade jag till ett enfärgat varv med bottenfärgen och maskade av styckena med den. Klar förbättring, tycker jag: rent i stället för plottrigt.

Slutligen Rona, som är ett bra exempel på hur ett nytt mönster kan bildas där två spegelvända möts. Gissa om jag blev livad! Ett annat elegant sätt att montera är att sy maskstygn (Kitchener stitch) men det ville jag inte använda här. Visserligen blir det en smidig söm, men den innebär att det blir en förskjutning en halv maska i sidled där styckena möts, och då skulle något av effekten gå förlorad. Så är den tekniken betydligt mer tidskrävande också.

Så småningom kommer det ett till inlägg om friheter jag har tagit mig med de här projekten.