Sunday 17 January 2010

"Haruni" shawl by Emily Ross


WIP: Haruni shawl
Originally uploaded by
Asplund

It's really exciting casting off some 700 stitches crowded on a needle: suddenly it's possible to actually see what the project looks like!

My modifications:

1. This shawl is 18x2 repeats wide (instead of the original 12x2). One of the many things I like about the design is that the size is easy to change.

2. Instead of casting of by crocheting and adding chains, I simply cast off as usual but very loosely.

3. In the middle there are three stitches instead of one, simply because I wanted a chunkier "stem" for the leaves. Contrary to what I expected it wasn't necessary to make a double decrease when changing charts for the border.

4. Instead of garter stitch at the beginning and end, I have used stocking stitch and slipped the first stitch. The reason for this is:

5. I just picked up stitches along the hypotenuse to add a border and will turn to Victorian Lace Today for inspiration.

It seems two skeins of wool-silk "Viva" from Wetterhoff will be sufficient. So, what do you do when you have bought three? Return one? Of course not; you buy one more to have enough for another shawl. Plus two skeins of another colour you can't resist.

17 comments:

EvaL8 said...

Jättesnygg. Jag har tänkt sticka den till min syster. Tack för flera bra tips.

Annika Odelstav said...

Nice! I've decided to make one and seeing your's didn't change that! Think I will follow some of your changes though.

rosalia said...

It s very, very beautiful. I´ll try to do a shawl as yours.
Rosalias

Yarndude said...

Wow, that looks absolutely gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Completely agree with the last sentiment.
That lace is impressive!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you never cease to amaze. That is a gorgeous shawl and a wonderful work of art.
ron

Satoko said...

Oj, det gick snabbt!
Jätte snygg...

Knitting-twitter said...

what a beautiful piece of art..
greetings from Switzerland, Christa

Kerry said...

Beautiful shawl Ivar, you inspire me.

docrock said...

Beautiful. I look forward to seeing the finished product and see how you do the hypotneuse. I appreciate your clear instructions for how you personalized the pattern for your taste.

MaryjoO said...

5 *****s! and thanks so much for your notes!

Asplund said...

Thank you, all! I'm happy my modification notes are useful. It's finished and blocked now, so there will be new pictures soon!

Johanne Ländin said...

Nu har jag också Haruni på min "att göra"-lista efter att ha sett din.

Vad ska du sticka härnäst?

Johanne

Anonymous said...

You are talented! I admire all your texture knits!

Asplund said...

Tack Johanne! Den är riktigt rolig att göra! Nu ska jag göra en jacka efter ett mönster av Marianne Isager. Hittade perfekt garn till det på rea!

Thank you, a-black-pepper! You know I'm a fan of yours!

Matilda said...

Gillar Haruni, men jag gjorde den modifierade versionen med endast blomkanten, och är sjukt nöjd! Den sticker verkligen ut :)

Ninnan said...

Oh så vackert mönster, men var hittar man det?