Tuesday 14 October 2014

For better and worse

Double-knitting is a technique that fascinates me! I had seen some examples of it before (mostly in books), but meeting Chrissie Day in September last year inspired me to finally learn it. I had a few hours to kill waiting for the bus to take me to the airport, a book by Marianne Isager, where she describes the technique and, not particularly surprisingly, wool and needles. Right now I'm making a scarf using Cascade 220 (wool) and Cascade Casablanca (wool, silk and mohair).
Radio scarf

The colours are pretty and I like the way they change gradually. However, I decided to go for a strict pattern with simple lines to balance the colour changes. It's a "radio scarf" as I knitted part of while on a radio show last weekend - an unforgettable evening with Stina Wollter that I'm happy is knitted into the scarf.

Actually, it's my second attempt using this combination. My original idea was to knit a brioche cowl in the round, but it wasn't very successful as it pulled quite a lot. I believe it's because Casablanca is 1ply. Any other ideas?

twisted
Speaking of failures, I keep trying to master tatting going beyond knots and picots. I think it's clear where I took over from my teacher: loose knots and one picot too many. Mickey bloody Mouse was here.

room for improvement

Det är spännande att se hur garner beter sig - ibland inte alls som jag hade tänkt mig! Jag fick för mig att det skulle bli lyckat att patentsticka med en tråd Cascade och en tråd Casablanca. Visserligen blev det mjukt och skönt, och det blev fint med färgväxlingarna; däremot var det inte alls lyckat att sticka det runt. Det drar som en t-tröja av sämre kvalitet, en sådan där sömmarna går i spiral efter första tvätten. Antagligen har det att göra med att Casablanca är entrådigt, men jag är inte säker. Nå, det fick bli dubbelstickning i stället.

Apropå misslyckat: jag som inte är en stor beundrare av Musse Pigg höll på att sätta kaffet i halsen när jag såg följderna av att råka göra en picot för mycket när man slår frivoliteter. Det är inte någon tvekan om var jag tog över från min lärare, men skam den som ger sig.

6 comments:

Christine Laennec said...

I think you're being far too hard on yourself about the tatting! You have to start somewhere, and that looks like a very good start to me.

Jules said...

You're funny! I'm loving your Radio Scarf--such a nice combination of colors.

Asplund said...

Thank you both!

Christine: I'm probably not as hard on myself as it may seem - but I'd rather poke fun at myself than at someone else in a blog post. I appreciate your words about my tatting! I enjoy it very much, and even more after learning that you've tatted a lot!

Liisa said...

Skam den som ger sig, både när det gäller garn och frivoliteter! Det blir fint!

Marias garnhändelser said...

mmm halsduken blir absolut snyggare än cowlen...men patent kan bli sådär ibland fast det ordnar sig vid tvätt.

Frivoliteter är et herk...önskar mig tre ton tålamod så kanske även jag kan få till det...har du en bra lärare?

ron in mexico said...

The scarf is stunning. Excellent choice of colours.
Ron in Mexico