Monday 25 May 2015

A sleeve detour

What counts as the birth of a project, the immaculate conception (needles meet wool) or cutting the last string? Well, in this particular case it's practically the same date, 24 or 25 May, which I discovered when I updated the Ravelry project page.

Four years ago I cast on to knit a sweater based on a vest design (Ravelry link) by Kim Hargreaves. I had done that once before and this time I wanted to make some minor colour and pattern modifications. I wasn't happy with the sleeve caps I first knitted (blog post here) and then I wasn't happy with the new sleeves either - and so I simply left it until yesterday.

I have no idea what triggered me all of a sudden in the afternoon, but I dug it out, got the scissors, then tried it on just to make sure I wouldn't regret it (no way!) and performed an amputation of the sleeves to turn it into a vest. Yes, the original garment.


9 comments:

Barwitzki said...

Det var fint... super veste! Jeg liker
mønsteret... kjempeflott. Kanskje du kan bruke også arme... handvarmere?
Håper du hadde en riktig fin pinse, vi hadde fint været, men i dag kom regn.
Hilsen til deg til Stockholm. Viola

Unknown said...

Brilliant solution! I'm always so encouraged and inspired when knitters take charge of their knitting like this. I always look forward to your posts. Your work is so beautiful and so meticulously rendered! Thank you for sharing your work with us.

Charlotte kaae said...

Smiler, det er hvad der sker når strikketøjet ligger og "hæver" i strikkekurven. Det ændre karakter. Smuk vest.

Anonymous said...

Excellent! What will you do with the sleeves now, I wonder?

Liisa said...

Snyggt så!

ylva said...

Haha ibland ska saker bara vila en stund, ibland i flera år;) hur som helst det som intresserar mig mest är " triggern" ...vad var det som gjorde att du fick lust igen? Just det där händer ju alla och man har liksom inte den blekaste , plötligt så bara händer det.
Ha det gott ! ylva

ron in mexico said...

Great solution. Could you felt the sleeves and make mittens?
Ron in Mexico

Anonymous said...

Hej Ivar! Jag heter Karin och hade dig i KS för två år sedan. Vi gick ut nian från Katarinaskolan idag och jag ville bara tacka dig för att vi fick ha dig i KS i sjuan. Skolan har inte varit densamma utan dig och du är saknad! Hoppas allt är bra med dig och att du får chansen tillta undervisa igen eftersom du är en sådan inspirerande lärare!!

Asplund said...

Tusen tack, Karin - det värmde!