Thursday 5 February 2015

Minor modifications

Hanne Falkenberg's Studio Long is finished and instantly became my favorite sweater - it's incredibly comfortable! I'd probably sleep in it if it was colder, but on the other hand I'm happy under my woollen (of course!) duvet. A friend of mine is allergic to wool, poor guy, while I'd be more likely to suffer from wool withdrawal. (Minimal risk. Too hot to wear it? Knit it!)
Wool galore: not at home but feels like home

As I mentioned in my previous post, Falkenberg's design doesn't call for modifications. Her constructions would make modifications difficult anyway - and it's exciting following her instructions. However, I did two things slightly differently in terms of joining.

side seam

One of Hanne Falkenberg's glorious trademarks is minimal sewing; for this sweater you only need to sew the side seams. As you can see, my sweater required even less sewing since I wanted more ease of movement and left one third open. And didn't mind less sewing one bit.

sleeve join

Typically, she chooses the three-needle bind-off technique for joins, for example under the sleeves. I decided to do it from the right side for decoration - and because I preferred it to the way my first joins slightly folded inwards. Sorry there's no photo to compare. I was too eager to redo it to get my camera, which must have been at least five metres away. I'm sure you understand. Instead, I've got an in-progress-photo to give you an idea of the construction of the sleeves:

one-and-a-half-armed


Last, a photo of my dear grandparents in the 1930s - for no particular reason except it makes me happy to look at. 

Ann-Marie & Gösta Asplund

13 comments:

AlpakkaAnna said...

Ännu ett utomordentligt snyggt hantverk, Ivar!
Jag såg bilden på Karins instagram igår, verkligen välgjord.

Liisa said...

Snyggt! Den passar dig jättebra! Jag har också tänkt på att det blir lite invikt med 3-needle bind off men har inte tänkt på att göra det åt andra hållet. Bra och snyggt tips!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sweater, and fantastic photo. So much love and happiness in their expressions. I think I would suffer from wool withdrawal too!

Jette said...

Wonderful sweater, and it fits you perfect. Beautiful work as always from your hand.

Unknown said...

Snyggt som alltid när du stickar!

ylva said...

Bilden gör mig också glad , har alltid varit fascinerad av gamla foton. Ett ögonblick i en annan tid... Jag blir som vanligt mållös vad gäller dina fantastiska tröjor, sobra färger .

Christina said...

Fantastisk sweater! Den er utrolig smuk og passer dig perfekt. Job well done!

Ula Zygadlewicz said...

Gorgeous sweater!

Charlott Bengtsson said...

Mycket snygg

Carolina said...

What a great design and beautifully executed!

ron in mexico said...

Such a beautiful sweater and so very flattering on you. Thanks for sharing that wonderful picture of your folks.
Ron in Mexico

Anonymous said...

Wow! just, wow!

knitigatingcircumstances said...

This is wonderful!